Advertise With Us

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Skrtel signs new contract at Liverpool

Defender Martin Skrtel has signed a two-year contract extension at Liverpool and is now targeting Premier League success this season.

Liverpool paid a club record £6million fee for a defender when signing Skrtel from Zenit St Petersburg in January 2008 and he has played 82 games during his time with the Merseyside outfit and was a first-team regular as Liverpool finished seventh in the Premier League last season.

Skrtel had two years remaining on his existing contract but has decided to firm up his commitment to the club by agreeing terms on a new deal that ties him to Liverpool until 2014.

He has since established himself as one of the club's first-choice central defenders alongside Jamie Carragher.

Martin Skrtel Skrtel missed the end of last season with a broken foot but recovered in time to feature in Slovakia's impressive World Cup campaign.

The mood at Liverpool has been transformed since the arrival of Hodgson in July, with the signings of Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic also lifting spirits after last season's disappointing seventh-place Premier League finish.

   "I'm very pleased. I have been at Liverpool for nearly three years and I really like it here. I like the city, I like the club and I like the fans so I'm happy I am able to sign a new contract.

"Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world so I am proud I can play here for four more years."

"Before I came here a lot of people thought I wasn''t good enough to play for Liverpool, but I think I have shown I am,"

"I'm happy to try and carry on giving good performances and doing my best for the club. Signing a new contract gives me confidence and I will work hard in training every day to play as many games as possible. You can always improve. I know the good and bad parts of my game and I will keep working.

"Lots of things have changed at the club this year with new players, a new manager and new medical staff. The spirit is very good and we showed that against Arsenal with a great performance. We can build on that and carry it on.

"We have quality in the dressing room and I know we will do better this year. A club like Liverpool deserves to win trophies and I will help them do that, hopefully this season.

"Everyone plays football to win trophies. Playing for Liverpool is a big motivation for everyone and we will do everything we can to win the Premier League. We have the highest targets - to win everything." he told LiverpoolFC.tv

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter.

0 comments:

Advertise With Us